HB 2060 Would Close Loopholes That Make It Easy for Dangerous Domestic Abusers to Access Guns
HARRISBURG, Pa. – The Pennsylvania chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, part of Everytown for Gun Safety, today praised members of the Pennsylvania Senate for passing. HB 2060 would protect survivors of domestic abuse by prohibiting all abusers who are subject to final protection from abuse orders from possessing guns and requiring them to turn in their guns while the order is in effect. The bill now heads to Governor Wolf’s desk.
The bill includes other protections to ensure that abusers convicted of misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence, who are already prohibited from having guns under Pennsylvania law and required to transfer them after their conviction, transfer their firearms quickly and securely.
STATEMENT FROM DEB MARTESLO, VOLUNTEER LEADER WITH THE PENNSYLVANIA CHAPTER OF MOMS DEMAND ACTION FOR GUN SENSE IN AMERICA:
“I could not be more proud of my fellow Moms Demand Action volunteers and all the concerned Pennsylvanians who advocated for this bill. Over the last four years, domestic violence survivors, law enforcement officials, local elected officials and people across the state fought tirelessly for this bill to become law. We are so grateful for your efforts. Today our legislature listened and put Pennsylvania families first, passing legislation will save lives.”
This legislative session, the Pennsylvania chapter of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America supported community leaders, lawmakers and law enforcement officials in their successful effort to pass this legislation by:
- Delivering an open letter to lawmakers in the House of Representatives signed by over 7,600 Pennsylvanians urging lawmakers to take immediate action to pass this lifesaving domestic violence legislation.
- Driving tens of thousands of calls and digital messages to lawmakers urging them to support HB 2060.
- Hosting five press conferences, throughout the week of September 5th, with state legislators of both parties, local law enforcement and concerned citizens to demand that Pennsylvania lawmakers pass HB 2060.
- Hosting a “Protect Pennsylvania Families” rally with community leaders and lawmakers on September 24th, the day the legislature was back in session, to urge the General Assembly to quickly pass this lifesaving legislation.
- Launching an effort to engage the public and hold lawmakers accountable that included six billboards across the state, with airplane banners that flew over western and central Pennsylvania on Labor Day – all urging action to protect families from domestic abusers armed with guns.
- Publishing a video featuring Moms Demand Action volunteers highlighting some of the most powerful reasons why Pennsylvanians support the legislation and urging lawmakers to pass this bill quickly.
- Releasing a list of “78 Reasons We Can’t Wait” to pass HB 2060. The list features 78 personal testimonials from Pennsylvanians across the state – one testimonial for each of the 78 Pennsylvanians who were shot and killed last year in domestic-violence-related incidents.