Moms Demand Action and Students Demand Action volunteers are a grassroots movement dedicated to changing laws to make our communities safer from gun violence.
Here in Florida, our advocacy hasn’t let up during the COVID-19 pandemic, but it does look different. Before coronavirus, we showed up every year in Tallahassee on Advocacy Day with hundreds of volunteers in red shirts, meeting with dozens of lawmakers to discuss our priority bills. Now, we’ve reimagined legislative advocacy to make it more accessible and meaningful.
This year, Florida Moms Demand Action and Students are debuting a statewide Day of Action, Feb. 27, 2022.
In 10 Florida cities, we’ll welcome supporters and local leaders to events focused on actions we can take in Florida to reduce gun violence. Nine of our events are outdoor, mask-required gatherings. Our Sarasota/Manatee event is virtual; attendees who prefer an online environment are welcome to join from anywhere.
At each of our 10 events …
- Survivors will share how gun violence has impacted their lives.
- We’ll lift up and center the work of our community partners, who work tirelessly in the neighborhoods most impacted by gun violence to stop cycles of violence.
- Attendees will use their voices to make a difference with meaningful, immediate actions.
We’ll focus on legislator outreach, writing letters to the editor, social media activism, persuasive storytelling, secure storage education, and more. And while you’re learning, you will make a difference by advocating for important bills, connecting with local violence intervention programs, and building strong and resilient communities.
Please join us! Find the event nearest you—or join our virtual event live from Sarasota!—and RSVP below.
Florida Day of Action events:
- Broward: RSVP Volunteer Park, Camp Everglades Corporate Pavilion, 2-3:30 pm
- Gainesville: RSVP Citizens Park, MLK Center, 2-5 pm
- Jacksonville: RSVP Ruby Beach Brewing, 1-3 pm
- Sarasota/Manatee: RSVP Virtual, 1-3 pm
- Miami: RSVP Legion Park, noon-2 pm
- Naples: RSVP Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Greater Naples, 2-4 pm
- Orlando: RSVP New Life Church, 1-3 pm
- Palm Beach: RSVP John Prince Park, Lake Worth, 10 am-noon
- Tallahassee: RSVP Carter Strong Howell Park, 2:30-4:30 pm
- Tampa: RSVP MacFarlane Park, 2:30-4:30 pm