Ahead of this week’s Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on the nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the U.S. Supreme Court, below are four things to keep in mind when Judge Barrett discusses the Second Amendment:
- Judge Barrett’s interpretation of the Second Amendment is far outside the judicial mainstream, and it’s dangerous –– putting nearly every gun law at risk.
- Federal appeals courts have upheld almost every gun safety law that the NRA and other gun extremists have challenged since the Supreme Court’s landmark ruling in District of Columbia v. Heller.
- As the gun safety movement makes historic progress in statehouses and at the ballot box, the gun lobby is trying to use the courts to gut life-saving gun laws.
- More than 100 Americans die every day by guns, and two hundred more are wounded. If the gun lobby succeeds in gutting evidence-based public safety laws, this crisis will get even worse.
As you continue to cover Judge Barrett’s nomination, gun violence prevention advocates are available for interviews, including:
- John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety
- Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action
- Eric Tirschwell, Managing Director, Everytown Law
- Members of the Everytown Survivor Network
To request an interview, please don’t hesitate to reach out to [email protected].